Saturday, April 24, 2010

3) Policy, Policy, Policy

Ok so in the aftermath of a far better tv debate performance by all three leaders(which I thought Brown won, but polls go for Cameron or Clegg)it is safe to say that this is a close run election. It really could go anyway, but it is looking like heading towards a hung parliament. Which would be thoroughly interesting. In fact, you think this whole thing would be interesting, the closest an election has been in years - we can actually legitimately say we have a three party system, who would have thought that 6 months ago. And yet I still find myself under-whelmed. It is not due to the race, it is due to the substance within it. The title of this blog is Disenchanged Voter, and I still remain disenchanted. This is because the policies in no way grab my interest. When I am choosing my countries leader, when I am watching televised debates, when I am reading manifestos I want to see some proper ideological arguments. This is not what I have seen so far...I have seen Brown become more centre...I have seen Cameron avoid Thatcher at all costs and basically being the most ashamed Tory I have ever seen...and Clegg, Trident...really? Do we care? I want to see some proper Keynes vs Hayek...some Smith vs Marx...some Locke vs Hobbes!

So the best way to stop the rise of Nick Clegg is via 'Policy, Policy, Policy'. He clearly is weak on this, the man is pushing Trident for God's sake. Vince Cable was his go to guy on such matters, the substance behind the show - but even his economic ideas have been called into question recently. A strong idea on policy that is passionately put across to the electorate will frisk them into a frenzy. To be honest, it doesn't even have to be specific policy; a calling to unite the masses and change the system would do it for Brown (though this would be hard to pull off as he has been the system for a long time now). Cameron could call for economic change, re-envigorate our economy into the capitalist power house it once was. These are callings that people love. Admit that you are either 'left' or 'right' and take those people with you.

Tonight I saw Cameron put on a strong show against Jeremy Paxman in his interview. I was actually geniunely impressed. He seems to be throwing in 'Big Society' at every opportunity - clearly his catchphrase, not sure it is one the people will follow along with but at least it is there. The problem is, the Big Society doesn't say anything. Essentially this is the traditional argument that we need less government intervention, a smaller state. However, Cameron being so fantastically ashamed of his own actual beliefs (either that or doesn't believe he can convince the British public he is right, always good in a leader) has decided that he will hide what he means behind this Big Society tag. The idea is that a rolling back of the state will allow private sector to come in and hopefully make us more efficient. A smaller state, however, suggests job cuts to civil servants - which is never a winner in such a poor economy. So he is trying to phrase it in a way that makes us think it is a job creation policy - which I am sure he hopes it will be, but in the long term not the short term. Whether you agree or disagree with this is not the point. The point is that Cameron is being himself, a PR man, he is trying to manipulate his own ideas to fit what we want. It is good campaigning...but it is bad politics. Democracy is about the person we want representing us, not us being tricked into someone saying something they are not. It is time that Cameron came out and forcefully, passionately said what he feels (much like Boris does) and try to convince us he is correct. I am sorry I have focussed on blaming Cameron here, but lets see if Brown can take my words into account when he faces Paxman next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment