Friday, May 7, 2010

Early bird catches the ballot paper

Ok so I am writing this at the point where three constituencies have counted and announced all three from Sunderland, all three Labour wins and with differing swings. The exit polls show Conservatives not to have an overall majority and point towards a hung Parliament. It’s time for me to be stupid and make a prediction – I stick to what I have always said, Conservative win with overall majority, Labour to have second highest amount of seats; however, I will go out on a limb and say that I believe Labour will also secure the second highest amount of votes.

That was my quick update and prediction there, but I just wanted to quickly put together a blog about the other hot topic coming through – the shambles of the voting system. Polling stations closed before people could vote, others stayed open after exit polls were announced and some polling stations didn’t even have enough ballet papers. Well I personally think it is shocking to not have enough ballot papers, that is administration at its worse and someone needs to get blamed for that – almost certainly has to be an inquiry. I also believe that allowing people to vote after the exit polls have been released is poor show, if you haven’t voted before the designated time than that is tough luck. And I am afraid that my opinion remains as that over the people queuing outside polling stations that haven’t been able to vote. I was up at 7am this morning to make my vote before I went to work; if you left it so late that it closed before you could get in than that is your fault. The times were clearly 7am to 10pm – plenty of time! Don’t complain, live and learn and in five years time get up early and get down to that polling station.

No comments:

Post a Comment